Scroll back to the top

NSC 2022 FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions supported by the Student Success Help Desk. Let us know how we can assist! Call, text, or email!  
Call or text: 979-429-3662

Please contact your academic advisor if you have further questions:

See Texas A&M's response to COVID-19 for the most up-to-date information, resources, and guidance.

General Information

Log into your Howdy Portal, and select the My Profile icon located at the top of the screen. There will be a drop down labeled “Holds” in the right hand corner that will provide you with more information about the holds placed on your account.

Request an official transcript from your high school. This transcript needs to include your high school graduation date. Send final high school transcript(s) via TREx (Texas high schools only), mail, or hand deliver to Admissions Customer Service. No matter the method of delivery, the official transcript needs to be received in a sealed envelope from the sending school.

The Aggie Card is your official ID at Texas A&M University. You can request an Aggie Card at
Texas Senate Bill 1107 (now TEC 51.9192) requires all students entering an institution of higher education (public and private) to either receive a vaccination against bacterial meningitis or meet certain criteria for declining such a vaccination before the first day of the semester.

Register with Med+Proctor and submit the record there. For more information regarding deadlines to submit the Bacterial Meningitis record, click here.

Admitted students may request a change of major in your Howdy Portal 7 days prior to their NSC. This must be done by 5 p.m. Some college and majors have enrollment limits and will not accept a change of major application. Students can only choose from the colleges and majors with space available at the time of request. A change of major is never guaranteed and majors can fill prior to your request. 

Students are encouraged to meet with a Transition Academic Programs (TAP) advisor prior to requesting a change of major to make sure the new major aligns with your career goals and aspirations. You will receive a specific link to the virtual advising room approximately 10 days prior to your NSC. 

Transfer students are admitted to a specific major based off of their academics. You will not be eligible for a change of major until completion of your first semester. After your first semester, you must meet all change of major guidelines for your desired major including GPA and course requirements. 

You will meet your major academic advisor(s) on Day 2 of your New Student Conference.


Yes. The Math Placement Exam assists with placing you in the MATH course that meets your math skills. The MPE you take is determined by your major. Students are placed into 2 groups.

Group 1: This group is for students in the College of Engineering and the College of Science (with the exception of Biology). Group 1 will register to take the MPE proctored by TAMU personnel with one opportunity to retake the exam. 

Group 2: This group is for students in the Department of Biology and all other majors at Texas A&M (not including the College of Engineering or Science). These students can take the MPE a total of three times, but there is a two-week waiting period in between.  

More information on the MPE can be found on the Math Placement Exam page

The Language Placement Exams are designed to see where a student is proficiency wise. You can receive credit for your proficiency. This exam is ideal for students interested in continuing their studies of a language they have prior knowledge of or studied. You should complete the exam prior to your NSC.

The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a requirement by the state of Texas that all students enrolled at public institutions of higher education demonstrate college readiness in reading, writing, and mathematics. Students must meet the TSI exemption criteria or pass the TSI Assessment. 

Students should complete the TSI Assessment prior to their NSC. Not all students will need to take the TSI Assessment because they have been deemed exempt. A full list of exemptions can be found on the Academic Success Center's website

Course Credits

Review the AP Credit Chart to see which courses can be claimed by the AP exam you completed. Assume that you are receiving the maximum amount of credit for the exam, and we will avoid these classes while registering.

No. Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your AP credit and how this will affect your degree plan before accepting anything. 

AP credit never goes away. You can claim it all the way up to graduation.

Request an official transcript from the institution where the credit was completed from. Send dual credit/college transcripts (if applicable) from the college via Speede (use code 003632 for TAMU), eScrip-Safe/National Student Clearinghouse/Parchment (use if an email is required), mail, or hand deliver to Admissions.

It would be helpful to have a list of classes that you completed with you, or be able to pull up the unofficial transcript from the institution where the credit was completed in case there are any questions or prerequisite issues that come up during the registration process.

If you know you have already completed a course and received credit for the course, then do not register for that course at A&M. You can always confirm this with your academic advisor.


You will register for classes on Day 2 of your New Student Conference, in the afternoon. Your academic advisor or a representative from your college will be there to assist you with registration.
Click on the title of the course when searching for classes. This will bring up additional information on Restrictions, Prerequisites, Corequisites, or any fees associated with the class.This information will determine if you are eligible to enroll in the course.
Go to the My Record tab in your Howdy portal and look for the portlet titled "Registration." Select the link for "Lab Safety Acknowledgment" to access the acceptance page. 

The Lab Safety Acknowledgment must be completed in order to register for laboratory based classes or courses with a lab component.